Tuesday, February 16, 2016

How to resolve 'res://ieframe.dll/acr_error.htm#' error (Internet Explorer stopped working while viewing a website)

While testing a website I was developing, I got an error message saying "Internet Explorer has stopped working". This is followed by this line added before the URL: res://ieframe.dll/acr_error.htm#.

I was using Internet Explorer 11 in Windows 7 64-bit machine.

I tried disabling all add-ons in IE but that did not resolve the issue.

I've found this solution to my problem:
  • From Tools menu, open "Internet options".
  • Go to the Advanced tab.
  • Under "Accelerated graphics", tick the box that says "Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering".
  • Click Apply and Ok.
  • Test your website. You might need to restart your computer if it does not immediately show any effect.
This worked for me.

Saturday, July 18, 2015

XAMPP MercuryMail shutdown unexpectedly

When MercuryMail shuts down unexpectedly, you get the following message on XAMPP control panel:

Error: Mercury shutdown unexpectedly.
6:25:56 PM  [mercury]     This may be due to a blocked port, missing dependencies,
6:25:56 PM  [mercury]     improper privileges, a crash, or a shutdown by another method.
I restarted Mercury but that did not help.

However this worked for me. Open up your Mercury's /QUEUE directory. It should be located somewhere at "C:\xampp1.8.3\MercuryMail\QUEUE". There should be one or more *.QCF files. Delete all of them. Then start Mercury from XAMPP Control Panel.

Friday, July 17, 2015

Cygwin cygintl-2.dll issue with 'ls' command in Win 7

After installing Cygwin, there was a warning on the Win 7 command prompt that says 'cygintl-2.dll' file is missing. It turned out to be a conflict between Cygwin and OpenSSH program, which I had installed prior to Cygwin. 'ls.exe' was part of both Cygwin's /bin and OpenSSH's /bin directories and it looked like the 'ls' command was running off OpenSSH's path. I just uninstalled OpenSSH. Then it started working again.

Alternatively, I could simply remove OpenSSH from the Window's PATH. That might have resolved the issue too but didn't try.

If you have found another solution, free free to share.

Saturday, July 5, 2014

MySQL: How to find tables that are using a certain column name?

This SQL helps you list the tables with a certain column name. As you can see in the script, you can also use comma-separated multiple column names.

    WHERE COLUMN_NAME IN ('column_name1', 'column_name2')
    AND TABLE_SCHEMA='database_name'

You may also use "COLUMN_NAME LIKE" to find a closer match of something you are looking for such as:

    WHERE COLUMN_NAME LIKE 'column_name%'
    AND TABLE_SCHEMA='database_name'

Sunday, June 29, 2014

"421 service not available closing channel" error

I was trying to send emails to my localhost account in Windows Live Mail and it's giving me an error message "421 service not available closing channel". This is nothing to do with the email client. This is an issue in xampp's MercuryMail folder.

I am using XAMPP 1.8.3 and it appears MercuryMail seems to have "QUEUE" folder missing.

Place a "QUEUE" folder inside MercuryMail as in "C:\xampp1.8.3\MercuryMail\QUEUE" and this problem goes away. The same path for the QUEUE folder should be used in the "Mail queue" tab in Mercury's Configuration > Mercury Core Module Configuration.

Friday, June 20, 2014

Case sensitive table names in MySQL

In Windows, MySQL database tables are saved with lowercase letters. When you import tables with case sensitive names, these get converted into lowercase names. If you want to maintain case sensitivity in MySQL database, do the following:
  • In your MySQL installation folder, find my.ini file and open it. If you are using xampp, it's usually located in /mysql/bin/ directory.
  • In [mysqld] section, modify the value of lower_case_table_names to 0. If this entry is not there already, simply add this line:
    lower_case_table_names = 0
  • Then restart your MySQL server.

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

How to make jQuery Cycle2 plugin compatible with old Cycle plugin?

Malsup's Cycle2 plugin does not work with old Cycle plugin if both of them are used on the same page. It's because both these plugins use the same cycle() method name.

In order to make both of them work on the same page, one of the plugin's cycle() method must be renamed. I tried this with Cycle 2 version 2.1.2 minified production js file and it seems to work fine. If you are using non-minified file, I think the steps will be pretty similar. Follow the steps below.
  • Open up jquery.cycle2.min.js file and replace all "fn.cycle" with "fn.cycle2" and ".cycle(" with ".cycle2(". You don't need to change the class names, etc.
  • If you are initialising the slideshow by invoking the cycle() method in your view or anywhere else, you will need to change the function call too, such as "$('.myslideshow').cycle2()".
  • If you are using additional plugin files of Cycle2, perform find and replace as shown above on each of the files.
That should do it. Let me know if this works for you.